/drive/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Why google drive created a partition in my computer, and what is the use of this?
I finally upgraded my backup and sync tool by downloading the google drive for windows. But after installing and setting it up. It Creates a new drive name Google Drive Z. Why did it created it? can I remove it, or is it taking some of my space?
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (1)
Relevant Answer
WHY GOOGLE...????
i'm really uncomfortable with all this new drive, auto created by gdrive..
really big diappointment...
i'll uninstall soon if google keep on doing this bs...
marked this as an answer
All Replies (48)
Peter, volunteer contributor Photos and Drive
Relevant Answer
Hello Jenuel,

I think it is a case of 'what you see is what you get' and Backup and Sync will be deprecated by the end of September.

See https://support.google.com/drive/answer/10309431 where you currently have the opportunity to chat directly with Google

Regards,
Peter
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes, I am actually using the new Google Drive in my desktop computer.. but it seems like it created a partition in my desktop..
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The new Google Desktop, is actually the business variant of Google File Stream, which apparently always had this concept of a dedicated virtual drive.
But I don't like it either. It was quite sufficient to have the files under %USERPROFILE%. Wasting a drive letter on Google Drive is just a bold move and too intrusive for my taste, since I already have a number of mapped network drives and not many letters left. So this is a dealbreaker for me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Can it be removed or relocated?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I totally agree this is intrusive and should not be taking up a drive letter, I dont care that is is not taking up any space, I have mapped drives to all sorts of things, how dare google think they can just use un my drive letters.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I would agree with the sentiment of this post, that the virtual drive seems confusing if I can't use it natively to store anything.

In explorer you have two links to Google Drive.
1. "Google Drive" with the nice logo - this links directly to the actual folder on your local machine where the mirrored files are stored.
2. "Google Drive (G:) - this is the new volume created by Drive for Desktop. In this volume is a Shortcut called "My Drive" which links to the same directory used by (1) above.

I just posted a question (https://support.google.com/drive/thread/121207917/drive-for-desktop-how-to-move-files-from-old-backup-sync-folder-to-new-google-drive-volume ) trying to understand how I can make use of this new drive letter. I cannot create files or move files to this newly created Volume (on my computer it chose G:). There is also pop-up which appears in the taskbar saying "this feature is not available in Drive for Desktop yet", whenever I try to create or move files in the new volume.

Is Google planning to clean this up later on before they deprecate Backup & Sync? I'm assuming there was some good reason why the current situation exists. Appreciate any help from Google or others.

thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is absolute disaster and first time I want to migrate to OneDrive after they did this in many years!
Please make this as a choice and do not force it on all users.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Note that if you close the google client, the virtual drive simply... disappear so you cant access your datas. At least with the file stream option, even if some folders are "available offline", you cant access them. 
I Dunno if this is the same thing with a full mirrored sync.

Windows can restore opened folders after a reboot. But if you had google drive folder opened, windows cant reopen them after the restart, because drive client is closen and not running yet, so the google virtual drive is not available until the client start.

+ im questioning about computers having multiple physical disks. Can I choose the physical drive where the datas are stored? I suppose the answear is no...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is unacceptable. My workstation has been down all day "syncing" files from the Google B.& S. account, to the Google Drive desktop. If it finishes, I'll be disconnecting my servers, deleting the cloud files, and cancelling my paid Google subscriptions. This was really crappy release, unlike anything Google has ever done, more typical of Microsoft. Time to purchase DropBox storage.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
PeteranDi and all you others out there:

Going to google chat didn't help me.  The rep gave me information that I found out later was wrong and incorrect.

I was promised that my question would be escalated to the development group and that was about the end of last month.  Still no  response, and no hook for me to follow up with them at this end.  In the mean time the way I handle persistence on my computer is hosed.

Google is messing up a lot these days:

1) Dropping backup and sync support destroyed my well established and well honed use cases of Google Drive which I have been using daily for years.
2) Their new security updates where they go around touching user files to tighten up security of Google Drive have retroactively destroyed 5 years of my Gmail signature because my "anyone who has a link can see" image signature lost its permission to display in  any Gmail written since 2016.  (I moved this to a Google user content location in 2016, because of a pervious Google permission screw up retroactively hide my signature prior to 2016 because they wouldn't give permission to an image that I had publicly displayed for 5 years prior to 2016.  Instead of sensibly copying my signature image with appropriate permissions, instead they forced me to use a link to an image on my website, and then somewhere along the way disallowed this image to be used as a signature, which again retroactively destroyed several years of Gmail signatures for me that were written prior to 2016.  Some time in the last few years they fixed that problem as I discovered today. )
3) I am currently about to investigate whether their security update have invalidated the time stamped digital signatures on files that I was storing on Google Drive.  IF a single bit of those files is modified, the digital signature  of my documents will no longer authenticate when readers of the documents try to check. 
4) I have posted a continually updated a spreadsheet on Google Drive since 2005, and through the years, I had to port it to a different format because they no longer support .some open office formats, ran up against size limits, and occasionally had to reformat to fix changes they made to spread sheets,
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/drive/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic