/drive/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Cannot Delete Files In Google Drive Folder (via Finder) - M1 MBP 13".
I recently upgraded my mobile workstation to a 13" MacBook Pro M1. It has the latest (11.4) version of Big Sur and is running Drive Ver. 49.0.8.0. 

I've been having a really odd issue in that I cannot delete files in the Finder. I'm getting a pop-up error of The operation can’t be completed because the item β€œ(name of file)” is in use. Drive has the correct permissions, and deleting files works perfectly fine on my Windows Desktop. I can also move files in Drive via Finder without issue. But in order to delete files now, I have to either use my Windows computer or my iPhone via the Google Drive app, both of which have zero issues deleting files. This is clearly a major annoyance and I'm wondering if anyone has been having the same issue and/or has a solution. I've tried deleting and reinstalling Drive, closing and restarting Drive, and giving it every permission in MacOS settings to no avail. It still will not let me delete any files even though they are not in use. 

Screenshots attached.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (1)
Relevant Answer
The same issue started to occur after I installed Google Drive Desktop to a windows PC. I can delete files, rename and move folders, but I cannot delete a foler on my mac. I get the same message box: "The operation can’t be completed because a required item is in use." Only windows PC can delete folder for the same google account. Please help dear Google πŸ™πŸΌ
marked this as an answer
All Replies (31)
Relevant Answer
I have exactly the same issue and have to go to the drive on the browser to delete the folder.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This needs to be addressed ASAP. So annoying.

Same issue on an M1 Mac mini
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The same issue started to occur after I installed Google Drive Desktop to a windows PC. I can delete files, rename and move folders, but I cannot delete a foler on my mac. I get the same message box: "The operation can’t be completed because a required item is in use." Only windows PC can delete folder for the same google account. Please help dear Google πŸ™πŸΌ
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here. I have "dead" folders in my Google Drive. Really annoying... Better use the Google Drive SaaS service.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here since upgrade to Big Sur. Cannot delete files or folders on Finder. Only can remove them from Google Drive on web.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same. This is frustrating!

If you move the folder to the desktop you can then delete it but an unecessary step. 

I also seem to have issue unzipping folders in Google Drive too, sometimes some of the contents of the folder I unzip are missing.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is so frustrating, urgent fix needed!

Mac OSX 10.15.7
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Anyone else having issues with having Google Drive for Desktop on an External hard drive? 
Surely this is a basic requirement, it's the whole reason I use Drive...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
A fix for this is needed. It's preventing me from even editing some files on my Mac.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue here
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/drive/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic