To delete your Google Drive files, move them to the trash. Files in trash will be automatically deleted after 30 days. You can restore files from your trash before the 30-day time window. You can also permanently delete them to empty your trash. If you delete, restore, or permanently delete multiple files or folders at once, it might take time for you to notice the changes.
Your storage is shared across Google Drive, Gmail & Google Photos
To see how much space you have left, on a computer, go to google.com/settings/storage .
Important: When your account reaches its storage limit, you can’t send or receive emails.
Clear space in Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos to make room for new items.
Permanently delete large emails
In the Search box, type
Click Search .
Note: Replace "
10" with a higher number to delete larger files.
- Select the emails you don't need, then click Delete .
- On the left side of the page, click Menu Trash.
- At the top, click Empty trash now.
Permanently delete emails in Spam
- On the left, click Spam. If you don't see Spam, click More.
- At the top, click Delete all spam messages now. Or, select specific emails, then click Delete forever.
For other ways to search for email, learn about Gmail search operators.
Move photos & videos to Trash
- On your computer, go to photos.google.com.
- Point to an item you want to move to Trash.
- At the top left, click Select .
- At the top right, click Delete Move to trash.
Delete files you don't need
If you delete a file by mistake, learn how to recover a deleted file.
What uses your storage spaceItems that take up space
- Most files in your My Drive. For example:
- Items in your Trash. Learn how to empty your trash.
- As of June 1, 2021, newly created Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings, Forms, or Jamboard files count toward storage. Files that already exist don't count toward storage unless they're modified on or after June 1.
Important: For Google Workspace and G Suite editions, this change goes into effect on February 1, 2022.
- Messages and attachments, like items in your Spam and Trash folders.
- Photos and videos backed up in Original quality.
- Photos and videos backed up in High quality (now named Storage saver) or Express quality after June 1, 2021. Any photos or videos you backed up in High quality or Express quality before June 1, 2021 will not count toward your Google Account storage. Learn more about Photos backup options.
Remove hidden data from apps in Google Drive
- On your computer, go to drive.google.com.
- Click Settings Settings.
- On the left, click Manage apps.
- If there's hidden data, you can find the amount under the app's description.
- To delete this data, click Options Delete hidden app data.
- Files in "Shared with me" and shared drives. These files only take up space in the owner's Google Drive.
- Google Sites.
- Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Jamboard, and Drawings files you create before June 1, 2021, and don't edit after that date.
Photos and videos backed up in Storage saver quality or Express quality before June 1, 2021.
Items in Google Drive for your computer take up a different amount of space than the same items at drive.google.com.
- Items in your Trash take up space in Google Drive, but aren't synced to your computer.
- Shared items will take up space on your computer, but not Google Drive.
- Items that are in multiple folders will be synced to all folders on your computer, taking up more space.
- If you only sync some folders to your computer, the storage on your computer will be less than what is shown on Google Drive.
- Your computer may show a slightly different file size than drive.google.com because of Mac or PC requirements.
You can’t send or receive messages. Messages sent to you are returned to the sender.
- As of June 1, 2021, if you remain inactive or go over your storage quota for 2 years or longer, all of your emails may be deleted.
You can’t sync or upload new files. You can’t create new files in Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings, Forms, and Jamboard. Until you reduce the amount of storage you use, neither you nor anyone else can edit or copy your affected files. Syncs stop between your computer's Google Drive folder and My Drive.
- As of June 1, 2021, if you remain inactive or go over your storage quota for 2 years or longer, your content within the affected products may be deleted.
- As of June 1, 2021, if you remain inactive or go over your storage quota for 2 years or longer, all of your content may be removed from Gmail, Drive, and Photos.