How Google Photos works with Google Drive
You can see and edit photos and videos from Google Drive in Google Photos.
Sync photos and videos
- On your Android device, open the Google Photos app .
- At the top, tap Menu Settings.
- Turn on Google Drive. If you have a work or school-related account, you won’t be able to turn this on.
What happens when you change or delete a photo
- If you edit photos in Google Photos, changes won’t show in Google Drive.
- When you delete a photo from Google Photos, it’ll also get deleted from Google Drive.
- If you delete a photo from Google Drive, it’ll also get deleted from Google Photos.
- If you delete from the Google Photos folder in My Drive:
- If you delete individual photos or videos, they will be removed from Google Photos.
- If you delete folders (including the Google Photos folder), photos and videos won’t be deleted in Google Photos. This is to avoid deleting all your photos and videos by accident.
- If you move photos from the Google Photos folder to a different folder and delete them from there, they’ll also be deleted in Google Photos.
Check your storage
- If you upload photos directly to Google Drive, they will count against your storage quota.
- If you upload using Google Photos or Backup and sync, it will count against your storage quota if you upload in original quality. Learn how to change your upload size.
Evan is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.