How Google Photos works with Google Drive
You can see and edit photos and videos from Google Drive in Google Photos.
Before you get started
Download and install the Google Photos app.
Sync photos and videos
- On your Android device, open the Google Photos app .
- At the top, tap Menu Settings.
- Turn on Google Drive. If you have a work or school-related account, you won’t be able to turn this on.
See photos and videos from Google Photos in Google Drive
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Drive app .
- In the top left, tap Menu Settings .
- Under Google Photos, turn on Auto Add.
What happens when you change or delete a photo
- If you edit photos in Google Photos, changes won’t show in Google Drive.
- When you delete a photo from Google Photos, it’ll also get deleted from Google Drive.
- If you delete a photo from Google Drive, it’ll also get deleted from Google Photos.
- But if you add that photo to an album in Google Photos, it won't be deleted from those albums.
- If you delete from the Google Photos folder in My Drive:
- If you delete individual photos or videos, they will be removed from Google Photos.
- If you delete folders (including the Google Photos folder), photos and videos won’t be deleted in Google Photos. This is to avoid deleting all your photos and videos by accident.
- If you move photos from the Google Photos folder to a different folder and delete them from there, they’ll also be deleted in Google Photos.
Check your storage
Your photos and videos are stored using your Google Account's storage space.
- If you upload photos directly to Google Drive, they will count against your storage quota.
- If you upload using Google Photos or Backup and sync, it will count against your storage quota if you upload in original quality. Learn how to change your upload size.