Back up photos & videos automatically in Google Drive
Automatically back up and sync your photos and videos to Google Drive by turning on Auto Backup. You can back up items like:
- Photos you take with your device’s camera.
- Photos you save on your computer.
Back up photos & videos from your computer
You can back up photos on your computer using:
If you use both applications at the same time, some settings might cause them to use unnecessary space on your computer. (For example, if you create a Google Photos folder in your My Drive folder.)
To help prevent this, exclude the Google Photos folder from your syncing preferences in the Google Drive for your Mac or PC application:
- Using a computer, click the Google Drive icon.
- On a Mac, the icon is usually found in the menu bar at the top right of your desktop screen.
- On a PC, the icon is usually found in the taskbar in the bottom right of your desktop screen.
- Select More Preferences.
- Check the box next to "Sync only these folders."
- Select which folders you'd like to sync to your Google Drive folder, excluding the Google Photos folder.
- Click Apply.
Storage & cost
Photos use space in your Google Account
Your photos and videos are stored using your Google Account's storage space. You have 15 GB of free storage, but you can buy more.
Space used depends on your storage setting and which product you use
- Items uploaded via Google Drive count against your storage quota, regardless of size.
- Items uploaded via Google Photos:
- Don't use quota if they're stored in "High quality."
- Do use quota if they're stored in "Original quality."
Evan is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.