Create, name or delete a Google document
Create a Google document
To create a new document, go to your Drive, click the Create button, and select Document.
A window with a new Google document will open, and you'll be able to edit the document, share it with other people, and collaborate on it in real-time. Google Docs saves your document automatically, and you can always access it from your Drive.
Name a document
When you create a new document, Google Docs will name it Untitled by default.
To choose a name other than Untitled, click the File menu, and select Rename. From here you can choose and confirm your document's title. You can also edit the name by clicking the title displayed at the top of the page, and making your changes in the dialog that appears. Titles can be up to 255 characters long.
Delete a document
Delete an item that you own from your Drive
- From your Drive, select the item(s) you want to delete.
- From the More menu, choose Move to trash.
- If you're deleting a shared document that you own, you'll see an option to change the ownership of the document.
- The item will be moved to the Trash.
- To purge individual items from Trash, select them and choose Delete forever. To purge all your items click Empty Trash in the upper left.
Remove an item that you don't own from your Drive
- From your Drive, select the item you want to delete.
- Go to the More menu, and select Unsubscribe.