Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides size limits
Documents, spreadsheets, and presentations you create, as well as files that you upload, have some limits built in. For instance, files you create or upload that are larger than 1TB can't be viewed within Google Drive. There are also limits, specific to file type, listed below.
Documents: 1,024,000 characters, regardless of the number of pages or font size. Uploaded document files that are converted to the Google documents format can’t be larger than 10 MB.
Spreadsheets: 400,000 cells, with a maximum of 256 columns per sheet. Uploaded spreadsheet files that are converted to the Google spreadsheets format can’t be larger than 20 MB, and need to be under 400,000 cells and 256 columns per sheet.More information about spreadsheet size limits
If you're close to exceeding size limits, you'll see a message at the top of your spreadsheet that indicates which limit you're about to reach:
- Number of Cells: Total of 400,000 cells across all sheets
- Number of Columns: 256 columns per sheet
- Number of Formulas: 40,000 cells containing formulas
- Number of Tabs: 200 sheets per workbook
- GoogleFinance formulas: 1,000 GoogleFinance formulas
- ImportRange formulas: 50 cross-workbook reference formulas
- ImportData, ImportHtml, ImportFeed, or ImportXml formulas: 50 functions for external data
- Complexity: VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP formulas tend to be more complex than other functions, and may slow down your spreadsheet. After getting data points through VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP, try re-pasting them as "values only" to reduce spreadsheet size
These size limits also affect the spreadsheets that collect form responses (for example, if you send a survey). To determine the number of responses that a form can take, you need to take into account the number of questions in your form and the number of other cells of data in your spreadsheet
Presentations: Presentations created in Google Slides can be up to 50 MB — which is about 200 slides. Uploaded presentation files that are converted into the Google presentations format can also be up to 50 MB.
Drawings: We’ve never seen anyone make a drawing that was too big (but that’s not a dare).
Other files: Files that you upload but don’t convert to a Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides format can be up to 1TB each.
Across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google+ Photos, every user is given 15 GB of free storage space, and can purchase additional storage as well.