Scan documents with the Google Drive Android app
With the Drive app for Android, you can scan important documents, like receipts, letters, and billing statements, as long as you have a camera on the back of your device. After you've scanned a document, the app will save it as a searchable PDF file and store it right in your Drive.
Scan a document
- Open the Drive app.
- Touch the red + button in the bottom right corner.
- Touch the Scan button .
- Use your phone's camera to take a picture of the document you'd like to scan.
- A preview of the image will appear. If you're not happy with the scan, touch the refresh button to take another photo.
- If your document has several pages, you can scan another page by touching the + button.
- Once you've finished scanning pages, touch the checkmark. Your document will be saved in your Drive as a searchable PDF.
Add a scanning shortcut to your home screen
If you want a quick shortcut to scan documents, you can add a "Drive scan" widget on the home screen of your device that will automatically save scanned documents to a specific folder. You can even set up multiple shortcuts to different folders.
- Navigate to the widget section of your device.
- Find the “Drive scan” widget.
- Hold down on the widget until prompted to place it on your home screen, and then drop it in the desired location.
- Choose an existing folder that you would like to direct scanned documents to from the widget or create a new one using the New folder icon .
- Click Select. The widget will display the name of the selected folder.
- Repeat steps 1-4 to add additional widgets directing to separate folders.
After adding the widget to your home screen, opening the widget takes you directly to the scan feature and all documents that you scan will be added to the folder you chose for the widget.