Purchase, cancellation, & refund policies
By default, your storage purchase is set to automatically renew at the end of your subscription. At any point during your subscription, you can upgrade to a larger storage plan. You'll be upgraded to your new storage level immediately, and your credit card will be charged when you run out of credit.
If you purchased a storage subscription under the old pricing plan, you can renew your subscription until you choose to upgrade or until your payment information expires.
If the auto-renewal fails, a seven-day grace period will be added to your subscription so that you're able to update your payment information. During this grace period, you won't lose access to anything in your Google Account or your current storage plan.
If you use Gmail and the auto-renewal fails, your storage plan will be extended for 30 days and you'll have seven days to update your payment information. You can use those extra 30 days to clear space in your account or buy a new storage plan.
If your storage plan is canceled or expires
If you cancel your storage plan or when your storage plan expires, your storage limits will reset to the free levels for each product at the end of your billing cycle. Everything in Google Drive, Google Photos, and Gmail will still be accessible, but you won't be able to create or add anything new over the free storage limit. If you reach or exceed the free storage limit:
- Google Drive: You won't be able to sync or upload new files, and syncing between your Google Drive folder and My Drive will stop. You'll still be able to create Google documents since they don't take up any storage space.
- Google Photos: You'll only be able to upload new photos and videos stored at High quality.
- Gmail: Incoming messages to your account will be returned to the sender.
Cancel your subscription
You can cancel your storage subscription at any time.
- Go to https://www.google.com/settings/storage.
- Sign into the Google Account for which you purchased storage.
- Your account will show in the left-hand box. Click Cancel plan.
- Review changes to storage that will take place after cancellation and then click Cancel plan.
- You'll receive a confirmation email of your subscription cancellation. On the start of the next month of your plan, you'll be downgraded to the free storage levels for Google Drive, Google Photos, and Gmail.
Google Drive storage plan purchases are non-refundable. The amount of storage you purchased is yours for the length of the subscription, even if you decide to cancel it.
Matt is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.