About Google Drive storage
Google Drive, Google+ Photos and Gmail offer free storage space to store your files, email messages and photos, with the ability to access them from any device, anywhere.
Google Drive: Storage and storage plans
Google Drive, Gmail, and Google+ Photos give you 15 GB of storage space for free, so you can keep your files, emails, and photos accessible from any device, anywhere. To see how much storage you’re using and how much you have left, go to your Drive on the web and look in the bottom-left corner. If you hover over that message, a pop-up will appear that indicates your storage usage in Gmail, Drive, and Google+ Photos individually.
If you reach the free storage limit, everything in Google Drive, Google+ Photos, and Gmail will still be accessible, but you won't be able to create or add anything new over the free storage limit.
- Google Drive and Google+ Photos: If you've reached or exceeded the free storage limit, you won't be able to sync or upload any new files, and syncing between your Google Drive folder and your Drive on the web stops completely. You'll still be able to create Google documents, since they don't take up any storage space. For Google+ Photos, you will only be able to upload new photos and videos under certain size limits.
- Gmail: If you've reached the 15 GB free storage limit, you'll have some time to correct the issue before emails sent to you bounce, but please try to resolve the issue as soon as possible. To do so, free up space by deleting emails, purchase more storage space, or contact your administrator.
How Google Drive storage plans work
If you run out of free storage space, Google offers a way to purchase additional storage space shared between Google Drive, Gmail, and Google+ Photos. The amount of storage associated with each plan represents how much total storage you’ll have after purchasing the plan.
Here are a few important things to know before purchasing a storage plan:
- Google Drive storage purchases are subscriptions that automatically renew. You can cancel your subscription at any time, but storage purchases are non-refundable.
- You can make changes to your storage plan at any time. You'll be upgraded to your new storage level immediately, and your credit card will be charged when you run out of credit.
- A storage plan for one Google account can't be transferred to a different account.
- It can take up to 24 hours before purchased storage is added to your account.