About third-party apps on Google Drive
Google Drive works with apps that you can install from the Chrome Web Store. With these apps you can edit images and videos, fax and sign documents, manage projects, create flow charts, and more.
Here’s what you can do with Google Drive apps:
- Access and open files in Google Drive
- Create new files through the app
- Access Google Drive files from an app outside of Google Drive
- Save a file to Google Drive from an app outside of Google Drive
- Share any file type, including files created with a Google Drive app
Here’s how to find out more about the company that made an app:
- Click the gear icon and select Settings.
- If you see Manage apps under the gear menu, you are using the old Google Drive. Select this option instead and skip to step 3.
- Choose Manage Apps.
- Click Options next to the app you need support for.
- Choose View product page.
- Read about the app on its Chrome Web Store page, which will include contact information for the company that made the app.
What you can do with Google Drive appsCreate files with Google Drive apps
Why stop at Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides? Use Google Drive apps to create other file types.
Here’s how to create a file with a Google Drive app:
- Go to drive.google.com.
- On the left side of the screen, click New and select New file.
- Don't see New? You may be using the old version of Drive. Try clicking Create on the left.
- Select an app from the menu.
- The app will open, and you can work on the file you’ve created and saved. You can access it anytime, anywhere in "My Drive".
After you install a Google Drive app, you’ll see it as an option in the “Open with” menu when you open a file. For example, if an image editing app can open JPEG files, you can open any JPEG in your Google Drive with that app.
Here’s how to open a file with a Google Drive app:
- Go to drive.google.com.
- Right-click on a file.
- Point your mouse to"Open with".
- Select the app from the list.
- Your file will open in the Google Drive app you selected.
You can open a file that’s stored in Google Drive directly in the app (without going to Google Drive).
You can save files to Google Drive that you’ve created or found in an app outside of Google Drive. There are a couple of ways to save a file to Google Drive:
- When you work on a file with a Google Drive app, any changes you save are also saved to Google Drive.
- In an app, you might see an option to "Export to Google Drive," "Save a copy" or "Send to Drive." When you select that option, the file will automatically be saved to your Google Drive.