View images, videos, documents, and other files
You can quickly view many file types online with Google Drive, including videos, PDFs, Microsoft Office files, and many image file types. With Google Drive, you can:
- View all of your files at a glance
- Store up to 15 GB of files for free
- Share files with other people without ever having to use an email attachment
View files in Google Drive
To view a file, double-click on the title of the file. Below are some actions you can take after you’ve opened a file:
|Quickly rename a file by clicking on the file name|
|Open the file with a Google Drive app|
Open a file with a web app or app installed on your computer
You can also open a file using web apps or compatible applications installed on your computer. To open files with applications installed on your computer, you have to be using the new Google Drive as well as the most recent version of Google Drive for your Mac/PC.
- Open Drive at drive.google.com.
- Right-click a file. You can also single-click the file and click the Menu button .
- Hover over Open with in the menu.
- Choose an app to open the file with.
Change default app settings
By default, certain types of files will be opened in the preview view when you click on them from your Drive. For example, files without a dedicated app of their own, like images, will open in the preview view. To change the default settings, follow the steps for making an app the default app.
Below are file types that you can view.
- Image files (.JPEG, .PNG, .GIF, .BMP)
- Video files (WebM, .MPEG4, .3GPP, .MOV, .AVI, .MPEGPS, .WMV, .FLV, .ogg)
- Text files (.TXT)
- Markup/Code (.CSS, .HTML, .PHP, .C, .CPP, .H, .HPP, .JS)
- Microsoft Word (.DOC and .DOCX)
- Microsoft Excel (.XLS and .XLSX)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.PPT and .PPTX)
- Adobe Portable Document Format (.PDF)
- Apple Pages (.PAGES)
- Adobe Illustrator (.AI)
- Adobe Photoshop (.PSD)
- Tagged Image File Format (.TIFF) - best with RGB .TIFF images
- Autodesk AutoCad (.DXF)
- Scalable Vector Graphics (.SVG)
- PostScript (.EPS, .PS)
- TrueType (.TTF)
- XML Paper Specification (.XPS)
- Archive file types (.ZIP, .RAR, tar, gzip)
- Audio formats (MP3, MPEG, WAV, .ogg)
- .MTS files
- Raw Image formats
|Skip video forwards/backwards||Ctrl + left/right(⌘ + left/right on a Mac)|
|View next item||L, or the right arrow key|
|View previous item||H, or the left arrow key|
|Zoom in||+ or =|
|Print a document||Ctrl + P (⌘ + P on a Mac)|
|Open the search bar||Ctrl + F (⌘ + F on a Mac)|
|Open the search bar/find next||Ctrl + G (⌘ + G on a Mac)|