View and manage file versions
You can view, delete, and download previous versions of Google and non-Google files.
- Open a Google file (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drawings).
- In the toolbar at the top, click File.
- Select See revision history.
- Click Restore this revision to use an older version of the file.
- Open a file.
- Right-click the file or go to the toolbar at the top, then click the overflow menu .
- Choose Manage versions.
- You can also take one of the following actions:
- Upload a new version of the file (owners and editors only): Click Upload new version.
- Delete a version (owners and editors only): Click the overflow menu > Delete.
- Download a version: Click the overflow menu > Download.
- Keep file versions forever: Click the overflow menu > Keep forever.
Automatic deletion of non-Google file versions
We may automatically delete older versions of non-Google files to help free up your storage. After 30 days, anything over 100 versions (per document) will be automatically deleted. If you’ve marked a version as "Keep forever", we won’t delete it but you won’t be able to keep more than 200 versions (per document).
Matt is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.