View and manage file versions
You can view, delete, and download previous versions of Google and non-Google files.
- Open a Google file (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drawings).
- In the toolbar at the top, click File.
- Select See revision history.
- Choose a revision in the panel on the right to see the changes made at that time. The color of the revised text matches the color of the person who made the edits.
- Click Restore this revision to use an older version of the file.
- Open a file.
- Right-click the file or go to the toolbar at the top, then click the overflow menu .
- Choose Manage versions.
- You can also take one of the following actions:
- Upload a new version of the file (owners and editors only): Click Upload new version.
- Delete a version (owners and editors only): Click the overflow menu > Delete.
- Download a version: Click the overflow menu > Download.
- Keep file versions forever: Click the overflow menu > Keep forever.
Automatic deletion of non-Google file versions
We may automatically delete older versions of non-Google files to help free up your storage. After 30 days, anything over 100 versions (per document) will be automatically deleted. If you’ve marked a version as "Keep forever", we won’t delete it but you won’t be able to keep more than 200 versions (per document).
Andrea is a Google Drive expert and wrote this page. Help her improve it by leaving feedback below.