How storage is counted in Google Drive on the web
Any file that you sync or upload to drive.google.com counts toward your storage limit.
While you may have a lot of files, folders, and Google Docs in your Google Drive, only items that you've synced or uploaded use storage space.
Items that don't count toward your storage limit
- Google Docs (Google documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, etc.)
- Files that others have shared with you
Tips to get the most out of your storage
- Delete versions of files.
- Empty your trash. Even items moved to Trash take up storage space.
- Check if you're the owner. When you transfer a file's ownership, it no longer counts toward your storage limit.
Learn how to see which files use the most storage