Grid and list view modes
Grid view in Google Drive and the Docs editors lets you see thumbnail previews of your files and folders. To see the grid view, click the grid icon in the upper right. To see the list view of your files and folders, switch to list view mode by clicking the list icon .
In both list and grid views, you can take the following actions:
- Select or open a file.
- Right-click an item to see more options.
- Share something with another person
- Organize files into folders
- Sort your files in a particular order
Change the density of your files in list view
If you want to change how compact your items appear in your file list, you can change the density in list view.
- Open Drive at drive.google.com.
- Click the gear icon .
- Click Settings.
- See "Display Density" under the gear icon? You may be using the old version of Drive. Choose a density there and your changes will automatically be reflected in Drive.
- Next to "Density", click the dropdown menu and choose the density of your view. "Comfortable" is the most spread out while "Compact" is the most dense.
- Click Done in the top right corner of the menu.
Do a "visual search" by searching Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides. Google Drive's Optical Character Recognition technology combined with Google Goggles lets you see thumbnails of everything that matches your search.