Upgrade a document to the new version of Google Docs
Soon, all of your old documents will be automatically upgraded to the latest version of Google Docs. Then, you'll get to take advantage of newer technology and features that are only available in the latest version.
These are some of the many advanced features in the new version of Google Docs:
- Real-time collaboration
- Advanced formatting tools such as a ruler, margins indentation, and tab stops
- More robust revision history
- Even more fonts
- Ability to view documents and spreadsheets offline
How do I upgrade a document?
Whenever you open a document that you own in the older version of Google Docs, you’ll see a message that instructs you to upgrade your document to the latest version.
If you click Upgrade now your document will be migrated to the new version of Google Docs. You can choose not to upgrade quite yet, but it's important to note that all old documents will soon be automatically upgraded.
Once you upgrade a document, you can't switch back to the old version of Google Docs. If the preview of your document doesn't look exactly the same as the original, you might want to learn more about formatting issues in the upgrade process. You can also take a look at what your original document looked like by going to the File menu and selecting View original.
Here are some things we've done to make the upgrade process as seamless as possible:
- URLs: Any old URLs will still redirect to the document after upgrade.
- Sharing settings: The sharing settings of the original document won't change after upgrade.