There are many useful features available if you use keyboard modifiers when performing other actions. Here are some examples:
Moving or dragging
- Turn off guides or snap to grid and smoothly drag your object: hold the Alt key (Option key if using Mac) while dragging an object.
- Restrict to vertical or horizontal dragging: hold the Shift key while dragging.
- Nudge an object in 1 pixel increments: hold the Shift key while moving an object with the arrow keys.
- Create a duplicate of an object while leaving the original in place: hold the Ctrl key while moving an object.
- Preserve an object's aspect ratio while resizing: hold the Shift key while resizing an object.
- Rotate in 15 degree increments: hold the Shift key while rotating an object.