Convert PDF and photo files to text
You can convert image files to text with Google Drive. Before you start, here are some things to keep in mind.
File types that can be converted:
- PDF (multipage documents)
Convert an image file
- Go to drive.google.com.
- Right-click on the desired file.
- Click Open with > Google Docs.
The image file will be converted to a Google Doc.
For best results
These tips will give you the best results:
- Resolution: Text should be at least 10 pixels in height.
- Orientation: Documents must be right-side up. If your image is facing the wrong way, rotate it before uploading it to Google Drive.
- Languages, fonts, and character sets: Google Drive will detect the language of the document. You'll get better results if your image includes common fonts such as Arial or Times New Roman.
- Image quality: Sharp images with even lighting and clear contrasts work best. Blurry photos will decrease the quality of the text.
- File size: The maximum size for images and PDF files is 2 MB.
Some formatting might not transfer to a text document:
- Bold, italics, font size, font type, and line breaks are most likely to be retained.
- Lists, tables, columns, footnotes, and endnotes are likely not be detected.
Acehnese, Acholi, Adangme, Afrikaans, Akan, Albanian, Algonquian, Amharic, Ancient Greek, Arabic (Modern Standard), Araucanian/Mapuche, Armenian, Assamese, Asturian, Athabaskan, Aymara, Azerbaijani, Azerbaijani (Cyrillic; old orthography), Balinese, Bambara, Bantu, Bashkir, Basque, Batak, Belarusian, Bemba, Bengali, Bikol, Bislama, Bosnian, Breton, Bulgarian, Burmese, Catalan, Cebuano, Chechen, Cherokee, Chinese (Mandarin; Hong Kong), Chinese (Simplified; Mandarin), Chinese (Traditional; Mandarin), Choctaw, Chuvash, Cree, Creek, Crimean Tatar, Croatian, Czech, Dakota, Danish, Dhivehi, Duala, Dutch, Dzongkha, Efik, English (American), English (British), Esperanto, Estonian, Ewe, Faroese, Fijian, Filipino, Finnish, Fon, French (Canadian), French (European), Fulah, Ga, Galician, Ganda, Gayo, Georgian, German, Gilbertese, Gothic, Greek, Guarani, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Herero, Hiligaynon, Hindi, Hungarian, Iban, Icelandic, Igbo, Ilocano, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kabyle, Kachin, Kalaallisut, Kamba, Kannada, Kanuri, Kara-Kalpak, Kazakh, Khasi, Khmer, Kikuyu, Kinyarwanda, Kirghiz, Komi, Kongo, Korean, Kosraean, Kuanyama, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lingala, Lithuanian, Low German, Lozi, Luba-Katanga, Luo, Macedonian, Madurese, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Mandingo, Manx, Maori, Marathi, Marshallese, Mende, Middle English, Middle High German, Minangkabau, Mohawk, Mongo, Mongolian, Nahuatl, Navajo, Ndonga, Nepali, Niuean, North Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Norwegian (Bokmål), Nyanja, Nyankole, Nyasa Tonga, Nzima, Occitan, Ojibwa, Old English, Old French, Old High German, Old Norse, Old Provencal, Oriya, Ossetic, Pampanga, Pangasinan, Papiamento, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Portuguese (European), Punjabi (Gurmukhi), Quechua, Romanian, Romansh, Romany, Rundi, Russian, Russian (Old Orthography), Sakha, Samoan, Sango, Sanskrit, Scots, Scottish Gaelic, Serbian (Cyrillic), Serbian (Latin), Shona, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Songhai, Southern Sotho, Spanish (European), Spanish (Latin American), Sundanese, Swahili, Swati, Swedish, Tahitian, Tajik, Tamil, Tatar, Telugu, Temne, Thai, Tibetan, Tigrinya, Tongan, Tsonga, Tswana, Turkish, Turkmen, Udmurt Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Uzbek (Cyrillic; old orthography), Venda, Vietnamese, Votic, Welsh, Western Frisian, Wolof, Xhosa, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zapotec, and Zulu.
Evan is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.