About Optical Character Recognition in Google Drive
Optical Character Recognition in a nutshell
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) lets you convert images with text into text documents using automated computer algorithms. Images can be processed individually (.jpg, .png, and .gif files) or in multi-page PDF documents (.pdf). These are some of the types of files suitable for OCR:
- Image or PDF files obtained using flatbed scanners
- Photos taken with digital cameras or mobile phones
Using OCR in Google Drive
In Google Drive, we take your uploaded images or PDF files, scan the file, and use computer algorithms to convert the file into a Google document.
For best results, the image or PDF files need to meet certain requirements:
- Resolution: High-resolution files work best. As a rule of thumb, we recommend each line of text in the documents to be of at least 10 pixels height.
- Orientation: Only documents oriented with the correct side up are recognized. If you've accidentally scanned or captured a document in a different orientation, please use a program to retouch and edit images to rotate them before uploading to Google Drive.
- Languages, fonts and character sets: Our OCR engine supports a large variety of character sets and will detect the language of the document automatically. We recognize left-to-right and right-to-left languages, as well as text written vertically for languages where this is common (Chinese, Japanese, Korean). You'll get better results if your image includes common fonts such as Arial and Times New Roman.
- Image quality: Sharp images with even lighting and clear contrasts will work best. Motion blur or bad camera focus will decrease the quality of the detected text.
File size limitations
The maximum size for images (.jpg, .gif, .png) and PDF files (.pdf) is 2 MB. For PDF files, we only look at the first 10 pages when searching for text to extract.
Preservation of text formatting
When processing your document, we attempt to preserve basic text formatting such as bold and italic text, font size and type, and line breaks. However, detecting these elements is difficult and we may not always succeed. Other text formatting and structuring elements such as bulleted and numbered lists, tables, text columns, and footnotes or endnotes are likely to get lost.
Supported languagesList of OCR supported languages
Acehnese, Acholi, Adangme, Afrikaans, Akan, Albanian, Algonquinian, Amharic, Ancient Greek, Arabic (Modern Standard), Araucanian/Mapuche, Armenian, Assamese, Asturian, Athabaskan, Aymara, Azerbaijani, Azerbaijani (Cyrillic; old orthography), Balinese, Bambara, Bantu, Bashkir, Basque, Batak, Belorussian, Bemba, Bengali, Bikol, Bislama, Bosnian, Breton, Bulgarian, Burmese, Catalan, Cebuano, Chechen, Cherokee, Chinese (Mandarin; Hong Kong), Chinese (Simplified; Mandarin), Chinese (Traditional; Mandarin), Choctaw, Chuvash, Cree, Creek, Crimean Tatar, Croatian, Czech, Dakota, Danish, Dhivehi, Duala, Dutch, Dzonkha, Efik, English (American), English (British), Esperanto, Estonian, Ewe, Faroese, Fijian, Filipino, Finnish, Fon, French (Canadian), French (European), Fulah, Ga, Galician, Ganda, Gayo, Georgian, German, Gilbertese, Gothic, Greek, Guarani, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Herero, Hiligaynon, Hindi, Hungarian, Iban, Icelandic, Igbo, Iloko, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kabyle, Kachin, Kalaallisut, Kamba, Kannada, Kanuri, Kara-Kalpak, Kazakh, Khasi, Khmer, Kikuyu, Kinyarwanda, Kirghiz, Komi, Kongo, Korean, Kosraean, Kuanyama, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lingala, Lithuanian, Low German, Lozi, Luba-Katanga, Luo, Macedonian, Madurese, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Mandingo, Manx, Maori, Marathi, Marshallese, Mende, Middle English, Middle High German, Minangkabau, Mohawk, Mongo, Mongolian, Nahuatl, Navajo, Ndonga, Nepali, Niuean, North Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Norwegian (Bokmål), Nyanja, Nyankole, Nyasa Tonga, Nzima, Occitan, Ojibwa, Old English, Old French, Old High German, Old Norse, Old Provencal, Oriya, Ossetic, Pampanga, Pangasinan, Papiamento, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Portuguese (European), Punjabi (Gurmukhi), Quechua, Romanian, Romansh, Romany, Rundi, Russian, Russian (Old Orthography), Sakha, Samoan, Sango, Sanskrit, Scots, Scottish Gaelic, Serbian (Cyrillic), Serbian (Latin), Shona, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Songhai, Southern Sotho, Spanish (European), Spanish (Latin American), Sundanese, Swahili, Swati, Swedish, Tahitian, Tajik, Tamil, Tatar, Telugu, Temne, Thai, Tibetan, Tigirinya, Tongan, Tsonga, Tswana, Turkish, Turkmen, Udmurt Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Uzbek (Cyrillic; old orthography), Venda, Vietnamese, Votic, Welsh, Western Frisian, Wolof, Xhosa, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zapotec, and Zulu.
Andrea is a Google Drive expert and wrote this page. Help her improve it by leaving feedback below.