G Suite is now Google Workspace. Everything you need to get anything done, now in one place. Learn more about Google Workspace.
When created records conflict with existing records, or a browser extension misreads fields, you may see error messages.
- Conflicts with existing records on @
- Conflicts with existing records on <subdomain>
- Record already in use
- Name conflict
- Invalid record count
Before you begin
Certain records don’t interact well with each other and may cause problems. Before troubleshooting the error messages, review the guidelines below to better understand record conflicts and avoid errors in the future:
- If you have Web forwarding set up, you can't have a Subdomain forward or a Dynamic DNS synthetic record for @ or WWW.
- Some browser extensions (like password managers or grammar checkers) don’t properly handle some fields, causing them to be detected as blank even if they’re filled in.
- If you have an email forwarding synthetic record or existing MX records for @, you can’t create a Google Workspace synthetic record.
- You can’t have a Subdomain forward or Dynamic DNS synthetic record in addition to a CNAME record for the same subdomain.
- Some web hosts (like Weebly, Wix, Shopify, and Squarespace) automatically create CNAME records to create destinations for subdomains.
A CNAME record cannot exist with any other records for the same subdomain.
How to fix conflicting record errors
To fix conflicting record errors, try the following:
- Turn off browser extensions like password managers or grammar checkers.
- In the "DNS" tab, confirm Web forwarding is set up. If it’s set up, either turn off Web forwarding or delete the subdomain forward record for @ or WWW.
- In the "Synthetic records" and "Custom resource records" sections, remove unnecessary and conflicting records.
- Instead of creating a new resource record, you can add data to an existing subdomain. To add data to a subdomain, follow these steps:
- Find the subdomain you want to add data to.
- Click Edit.
- Click +.
- Enter the additional values.
- Click Save.