Upgrade forwarding email to G Suite user
With Google Domains’ email forwarding, you can create forwarding addresses (for example, email@example.com), where messages are routed to an email address you own (such as a personal Gmail address). Learn more.
For advanced business features, you can upgrade a forwarding address to a G Suite user. Each G Suite user has a dedicated mailbox, Google Drive (file storage and sharing) with 30 GB, Hangouts (video meetings and chat), Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Calendar, and Sites. Learn more.
To upgrade forwarding addresses to G Suite users:
- Sign in to your Google Domains account.
- Select the name of your domain.
- Open the menu .
- Click Email.
- Under "Get a custom email address," enter the new user’s first and last name.
- In the "Username" field, enter the address you’re using for email forwarding (don’t include @yourdomain.com).
- Select a role, "Admin" or "User." An Admin has super administrator privileges and can manage all services in the G Suite console for your domain. Learn more.
However, a G Suite administrator does not have access to your Google Domains account.
- Click Buy and follow the instructions to add the user.
The Buy panel shows that your immediate payment is USD 0.00. At your next month’s billing date, you're billed for the total number of active G Suite users ($6 per user for the Basic edition and $12 USD per user for the Business edition). The payment for the new user is prorated for the month.
- Next, you can can send a welcome message and temporary password to your new user’s current email address. Also, consider adding a link to the Learning Center, which offers quick start guides for new Gmail users as well as tips and tricks.
You'll still see the forwarding address listed under Email forwarding, but all email will now be routed to the user’s new Gmail inbox. For best practices, we recommend you delete the forwarding address.
Test your email
After creating your G Suite user, send a test email to their address. If the test email is forwarded to the previous recipient, check to see that the new username matches the forwarding email address. If they don’t match, you can rename your user with the exact forwarding address.
If you delete a user account, but want to continue using the email address, you can add the deleted email address as a forwarding address and route the email to a different email address.