A domain lock is a security setting that prevents unauthorized attempts to transfer your domain to another registrar. Google Domains locks your domain by default.
While your domain is locked, you can update your contact information and make other changes to your domain settings. However, if you want to transfer your domain, you must first unlock it.
How to change your domain lock setting
To lock or unlock your domain, do the following:
- Sign in to Google Domains.
- Select the name of your domain.
- Open the menu .
- Click Registration settings.
- Scroll down to Domain lock.
- Toggle Lock domain / Unlock domain to change the domain’s lock setting.
Restrictions for domain locking
Some domain endings do not permit domain locking. In these cases, when you follow the steps to change a domain’s lock setting, you see a message that domain locking is unavailable and you can’t lock the domain.