/docs/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Is it possible to create different headers for each page of a Google Doc? If so, how?
I can only make the first page header different, but then all the rest are the same as the second page header. I want each page header to be different. I know this wasn't possible in 2016, but I am unsure about the present.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (19)
Volunteer contributor. Not a Google employee.
Relevant Answer
Hi, Sam,

Unfortunately, that capability still isn't possible. The only header that currently can be different is the first page.

To help influence future feature changes or additions in Docs, I encourage you to provide feedback about this directly to the Docs team by following these steps:
  1. Open a document. 
  2. Click Help > Report a problem
  3. Enter your feedback.
Although the product team is unable to respond to individual users directly, they review this feedback regularly and use it to help improve the product over time. The more users who have this request, the more likely it is the team will make a change.

~Jo
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
At one point, I was wondering the same thing and I think it would be helpful if there was an option for different headers on each page. Earlier, I was editing a company document, and because of the current lack of that feature, it made a lot more difficult to edit said document.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
wow this is just what i wanted thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I remember there was an option for different headers for a each page a while ago. Has it changed. This very frustrating. :(
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi there,

This has never been an option in Google Docs, at least not for the past six or more years that I've been using it. Hopefully, it's something that will be added in the near future. Please send in your feedback about this to the team via Help > Report a problem. The team reviews all feedback sent to them but is unable to respond to individual users. The more users who ask for this feature via in-product feedback, the more likely it is that it might be added down the road.

~Jo

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If you can't have different headers then how is the "Table of Contents" option supposed to work? It's advising me to create headers, and they'll show up in the table of contents?? Super confusing....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi, Ashley,

You're confusing headers (content that is put in the very top section of a page that appears on all other pages in your document) with headings. You can find heading options under Format > Paragraph styles..

~Jo
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
While Platinum Product Expert Jo S's answer is "technically" correct, Colin Chan's answer is absolutely the answer that most people would need as a workaround. If it hadn't been for Colins's answer, I would have left this post completely disappointed in Google. However, due to his insightfulness, I am as happy as ever with Google's product. Thank you Colin!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Lawrence, exactly how are you getting different headers on each page of your document? Putting content before or after a page number will only repeat that content in each header. Can you provide screen shots of the different headers for each page that you're creating in the same document?

~Jo
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
When inserting a header, a user has two choices: 1. make the first page header the same as the next pages, or; 2. click the "Different first page" option which will eliminate the header from the first page only. However, if a person wants the header on the first page only and not the rest of the pages, the user can choose the method that Colin Chan describes. Using his way, a user can have a header on page one AND have a completely different header than the rest of the document, OR none at all. That's what I was looking for. 

However, I do see where the problem exists for all of the other pages. Starting with page two, a user can number that page number 1 and the remaining pages will also be numbered. Sorry to create any confusion!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes, you can have a different first page header, but you can't currently have different headers on all pages of a Docs document, which was what the original poster had inquired about.

~Jo
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Why would a simple but necessary feature be absent? It is not such a difficult one to add I would imagine. Google is too busy screwing up YouTube instead I guess
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Alexander, the help communities are managed by volunteer product users (this is a peer-to-peer message board), not Google employees. We can offer assistance with troubleshooting and how-to questions, but we have no control over product improvements or general issues/complaints.

You can submit your concerns via Help > Report a problem. The team reviews all feedback sent to them but is unable to respond to individual users. The more users who submit in-product feedback requesting this capability, the more likely it is that the developers might make a change in the future.

~Jo
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
God bless you Colin Chan, you are my lord and savior, i will include you in my nightly prayers! 
Blessings from, Derek Park
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/docs/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic