/docs/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Documents have sudden spacing issue between letters
Hello.

I've been a long-term Google Docs user, in the past month I have been using it daily, even. Last night, however, I opened one of my files as usual and realized that the spacing inside words between the letters is all skewed. It appears as though there is an extra space after the letter M as well as some letters seem to be pushed closer together. Thinking I accidentally hit the space bar twice, I tried to delete it and found that there was no second space as it deleted the entire letter.

After checking the majority of my other Documents, I have come to the conclusion that every document that I had before last night with a page number above two is affected. Every Document that I create now (and don't paste any copied content from the affected Documents into) and the two that had less than three pages are fine.

I turned off all my browser extensions to see if this is the cause, and it is not. The zoom of my browser (Firefox) has been at 100% the entire time. I also deleted all cache and cookies from my browser with no effect. Selecting the entire Document's content and using the 'Clear Format' button did not work either. Both my laptop and browser are up to date. The line spacing has been at 1.15 and the Document has been aligned left before and after this happened, so I've ruled that out as causes as well. Changing the font to another and back did not help either.

As I said, this is a sudden (and unwelcome) change as I have not changed any browser or Google Docs settings at all.

I'd be eternally grateful if anyone has any tips on how to correct/fix this. I hope I don't have to retype all of the affected Documents.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: I have added a screenshot of a sentence in one of the unaffected Documents, but creating a new Document now sometimes (2 out of 3 created Documents) causes the same spacing issues around the letter M.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (11)
Volunteer contributor since 2013. Not a Google employee.
Relevant Answer
Hi, Diana, 

Which version of Firefox are you using? Which operating system (name and version number) are you using? Does the problem happen in other browsers that you rarely or never use, such as Chrome or Edge?

Jo
Docs Diamond PE volunteer
(not a Google employee)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi, Jo.

I'm sorry about the late reply. I'm using Firefox Version 92.0 (64-bit) and Windows 10 (Version number 20H2). If I use the preinstalled Edge browser, the problem does not occur. It also doesn't occur on the Docs app or on the devices of friends I have asked to look at my Documents on, although I don't know what browsers they were using.

Thank you for your reply!

Diana
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi, Diana,

It sounds like you have a browser extension/add-on that is no longer compatible with the latest version of Firefox and/or Docs. Please disable or uninstall ALL your browser extensions (including anti-virus apps, such as Kaspersky, ad blockers, Grammarly, and everything else). Then clear the cache in Firefox and reboot your computer. If the spacing looks correct now, you can re-enable/reinstall your extensions one at a time to locate the culprit. 

Does that resolve it for you?

Jo
(not a Google employee)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi, Jo,

I did as you suggested and uninstalled/removed all my browser extensions, cleared the cache, and restarted my computer, but the spacing still looks the way it does in the added screenshot above.

Diana

EDIT: I was playing around with the settings to see if maybe something changed it and when I upped the font size to 12 instead of the default 11 the spacing returned to normal (in Firefox; the Document looks normal in all font sizes when I use Edge). In case that helps figuring out where the issue is/why it looks messed up with front size 11.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I think you need to raise this on a Firefox forum - sounds as if they are having rendering problems.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Diana, I have to agree with my friend Gill. If disabling the extensions and clearing the cache didn't resolve it, and since everything is fine in other browsers, this appears to be a Firefox rendering issue. As Gill suggested, it would be best to post about this in a Firefox help forum or contact Mozilla.

Jo
(not a Google employee)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,

Thank you both for your time and help! I will get in contact with Mozilla right away.

Diana
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
You're very welcome, Diana.

~Jo
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please circle back here Diana if you resolve the issue - this will help other users.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I took this issue to the Mozilla Support forum (thread), but no one could really help me. I ended up changing the font to something else that I liked as the spacing issue does not translate there.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you for reporting back, Diana. There must be some kind of compatibility issue with that font in Firefox. Which one was it and which one did you switch to?

Jo
(not a Google employee)
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/docs/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic