Insert an image
You can insert an image in any document, spreadsheet, or presentation on your desktop. At this time, the ability to add images is not available on mobile devices.
- Open a document, spreadsheet, or presentation.
- Click the Insert menu.
- Select Image.
- Depending on what image you'd like to add to the document, select from the following options:
- Upload: Choose an image from your computer and click Open.
- Take a snapshot: Use your webcam and click Take a snapshot to add the image.
- By URL: Paste the URL of an image from the web and click Select.
- Your albums: Choose an image from one of your photos albums stored on the web and click Select.
- Google Drive: Choose an image stored in Google Drive and click Select.
- Search: Choose an image from the stock photography archive, or the Google and Life archives, and click Select.
Your image will automatically be added to your file.
Images must be less than 2 MB in size and be one of the following file types:
- .gif (not animated)
Delete an image
To delete an image you've added to your file:
- Open the file.
- Click an image to select it.
- Press the Delete (or Backspace) key on your keyboard.
Other options for adding imagesDrag or copy & paste an image
Drag an image
You can drag images from your desktop or a website to your document or presentation. Simply click the image you'd like to add and drag it to your file. It might take a moment for the image to appear.See an example
Copy & paste an image
You can copy an image from your desktop or the web and paste it directly into your document or presentation. After you've pasted it, it may take a moment for your image to appear.
Note: At the moment, neither of these features are available for spreadsheets.
If you want to replace an image in a file, you can switch the image with a different one without changing the general size and layout of the original image.
- Open a file.
- Select the image you want to replace.
- In a document, presentation, or drawing, right-click and select Replace image. In a spreadsheet, click the dropdown arrow in the right corner of the image and select Replace image.
- Choose an image to replace the original and click Select.
The new image will replace the original with the same general size, layout, and formatting.
You can add a video from YouTube into your presentation.
- Open a presentation to the slide where you want to add the video.
- Click the Insert menu
- Select Video.
- Search for a video you'd like to add and click Select. Or, choose URL at the top of of the window and paste a URL from YouTube.
Your video will automatically be added to the slide. To resize the video right away, drag the blue handles around the border to the size you want.
To add an image inside of a cell, you can use the following formulas to change the size of the image in the cell. You must have a URL for the image you're adding.
- Size to fit: Type
=IMAGE("URL", 1)into the cell with the URL of the image you want to add. Using this formula will scale the image to fit inside of the selected cell. If the cell is bigger than the image you're inserting, the remainder of the cell will be white.
- Stretch to fit: Type
=IMAGE("URL", 2)into the cell with the URL of the image you want to add.Using this formula will stretch the image to fit inside of the selected cell. The aspect ratio (height vs. width) of the image won't be preserved.
- Original size: Type
=IMAGE("URL", 3)into the cell with the URL of the image you want to add. Using this formula will add the image into the cell at its original size. If the image is bigger than the cell, some of the image may be cut off.
- Custom size: Type
=IMAGE("URL", 4, height, width)into the cell with the URL of the image you want to add, as well as your custom height and width (in pixels). Using this formula will add the image into the cell with your custom size.
Mary is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.