Stay informed on the latest updates in Google Sheets.
October 2022Add more information easily with smart chips
Use smart chips in your Google Sheets to add information about:
- People with Gmail or Google Workspace email addresses
- Other Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides files
- Google Calendar events
Tip: In your spreadsheet, you can hover over or click a smart chip for more information.
August 2022Use named functions, LAMBDA functions, and LAMBDA helper functions
You can use named functions,
LAMBDA functions, and
LAMBDA helper functions to provide greater formula flexibility, readability, and reusability within Sheets. Formulas that were previously complex and difficult to understand can now be simplified into more comprehensible and reusable named functions.
Learn more about:
XMATCH support enhanced match and search functionality compared to the
Learn more about:
Click the pop-up Edit button underneath the pivot table to open the pivot table editor. You no longer need to click the pivot table directly. This change helps prevent accidental clicks.
Learn more about how to edit pivot tables:
July 2022Use Delegated Access with Connected Sheets
With Delegated Access:
- A user who creates a Connected Sheet can choose to have future queries to the underlying data source use their account credentials. This option is possible even when other Sheets users trigger the queries.
- Collaborators can perform analysis on the data even if they don't have access to the underlying data source. This ability is useful when people who don’t have access to the data source want to perform data analysis and refresh data that comes from a Connected Sheet.
- Standard BigQuery rates apply when queries are run with Delegated Access.
May 2022Learn about Connected Sheets VPC-SC
You can use VPC Service Controls to restrict access to Google Cloud resources. VPC Service Controls doesn’t support Sheets. However, if you have the required permissions and meet the VPC Service Controls access restrictions, you can use VPC Service Controls to allow queries issued through Connected Sheets.Learn more about BigQuery data in Google Sheets.
April 2022Fix formula errors with formula suggestions
When you insert a formula into a Sheets cell, a suggestion box may appear with a replacement formula. You can accept or reject the suggestion.
From Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides, you can:
- Join a Google Meet video meeting
- Present directly to a Google Meet video meeting
March 2022Learn about doubled cell limit in Google Sheets
The cell limit in Google Sheets is now 10 million cells, increased from 5 million cells. This limit applies to new, existing, and imported files.Learn more about Google Drive file limits.
November 2021Use people chips to view more information about stakeholders
You can add people chips directly into a Google Sheet. These chips allow you to quickly find more information about colleagues or contacts, including their location, job title, and contact information.
With a people chip, you can also:
- Book a meeting.
- Start a Chat.
- Send an email.
- And more.
This feature is already available for Google Docs.
To insert a people chip, select an option:
- Enter “@” in any cell.
- At the top, click Insert People chip.
October 2021Learn about enhanced menus in Google Sheets
To make it easier to locate the most commonly-used features in Google Sheets, we made the following updates to the menus. We:
- Shortened the menu bar and right-click menus to better fit your screen and prevent menus from being hidden off-screen.
- Added and moved features to more intuitive locations. For example, you can now freeze a row or column from the right-click menu.
- Shortened some item descriptions in the menu to allow faster recognition.
- Added icons to help you find features more easily.
- Made changes across all menus, including:
August 2021View embedded Office files in Google Sheets
You can view embedded Microsoft Office files in your documents when you work with Office files in:
This feature allows you to:
- View files in preview mode.
- Copy or download an embedded file directly to Drive.
When you work with data in Google Sheets, you can find in-line, sequential, and context-aware suggestions for formulas and functions.
With formula suggestions, you can:
- Write new formulas accurately.
- Make data analysis quicker and easier.
When you insert a formula in Sheets, suggestions automatically display as you continue to enter text. You can view additional suggestions in the drop-down menu.
You can find and select theme colors in Sheets and Slides.
To select theme colors:
- Go to any color picker drop-down and click the edit button for your theme color palette.
- In the theme color sidebar, select a color from the drop-down.
- Edit your content with the new theme colors.
When you create shared links, you can open Microsoft Office files in Google Drive directly in:
Previously, Office files opened in preview mode. Now you can open files in edit mode and collaborate sooner. Learn more about working with Office files in Drive.
Smart Compose can help you comment faster and more accurately in:
July 2021Perform basic actions in multiple tabs in Google Sheets
Work in Google Sheets faster and with more confidence as you perform basic actions on multiple sheets.
You can select, then join, delete, duplicate, copy, color, or hide multiple tabs.
June 2021Find new ways to navigate comments in Google Sheets
In Google Sheets, you can:
- Review comments and conversation threads in a sidebar.
- Apply filters to find the most relevant comments.
- Page through comment threads in the comment overlay.
May 2021Present Google Sheets directly to a Google Meet meeting
Enjoy more line and fill customization options for series and series items. You can modify:
- Line dash styles
- Line thickness
For column-shaped series, you can add and style borders. Learn more about adding and editing a chart or graph.
April 2021Find more ways to analyze BigQuery data with Connected Sheets
- Column stats
- Filter by value
- Calculated fields for pivot tables
- Pivot table grouping
January 2021Use the range name box to improve navigation in Google Sheets
Use the range name box to navigate to active cells and ranges in Google Sheets.