Use locked mode in quizzes beta program
Locked mode helps keep students focused while they take quizzes and tests. When students take a quiz in locked mode, they won’t be able to browse other websites or open any other apps. Locked mode will be available to all G Suite for Education users on managed Chromebooks this August.
To use this feature, you need:
- To be previously enrolled in the beta program. We aren't taking new enrollments at this time.
- A G Suite for Education account
- Chromebook managed by your school for each student
- ChromeOS 75 or later
Turn on locked mode
- Make sure you meet the requirements above.
- In Google Forms, open a quiz.
- At the top, click Settings Quizzes.
- Turn on locked mode.
When you turn on locked mode, your quiz will automatically:
- Collect email addresses
- Allow students to only submit once
- Limit to your domain only
After you turn on locked mode
When students take a quiz in locked mode:
- Students won’t be able to use other apps. Some extensions, and keyboard shortcuts will also be disabled.
- If a student exits the quiz, or opens any other tab, the teacher is notified via email.
The following accessibility-related features will still be available:
- ChromeVox (text-to-speech)
- High contrast mode
- Fullscreen magnifier
- Docked magnifier
If you can't find an accessibility tool, use its shortcut. Learn more about accessibility shortcuts.
If you can’t use locked mode
If you aren’t able to turn on locked mode:
- Make sure you’re signed in to your Google Account through school.
- You’re currently signed in to .
- Make sure you signed up for the feature, you have to be enrolled in the beta program to use it.
- Your school might not have managed Chromebooks. Learn more about managed Chromebooks.
- You might need to update to ChromeOS 75.
If you aren’t able to take quizzes in locked mode:
- Update your Chromebook.
- You may not be on a Chromebook managed by your school.
- Make sure you’re signed into your Chromebook with your Google Account through school.
If you still can’t start the quiz, contact your teacher.