See the sum and average in a spreadsheet
You can quickly calculate the sum, average, and count in Google Sheets.
Note: This feature doesn’t work for some numbers or currency formats.
- On your computer, open a spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
- Highlight the cells you want to calculate.
- In the bottom right, find Explore . Next to Explore, you'll see "Sum: total."
- To see more calculations, click Sum.
- Count numbers
To find the average grade:
- Highlight the range B2:B5.
- In the bottom right, click Sum.
- Choose Avg.
- In the bottom right, you’ll see “Avg: 87%.”
Mary is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.