Separate cell text into columns
You can split delimited data, such as text separated by a comma, into several columns with Google Sheets. For example, a column with "Last name, First name" can be split into 2 columns: "Last name" and "First name."
Split data into columns
- On your computer, open a spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
- If the data’s already in the sheet, select the cells you want to split.
- If the data isn’t in the sheet yet, paste it.
- At the top, click Data Split text to columns.
- Optional: To change what character Google Sheets uses to split the data, click the dropdown menu next to "Separator."
- To fix how your columns spread out after you split your text, click the menu next to "Separator" click Detect automatically.
Note: After pasting data, you can click Paste Split text to columns.
Mary is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.