The Google Docs editors are designed to work with screen readers, braille devices, screen magnification, and more.
Use the VoiceOver screen reader
You can use the VoiceOver screen reader with the Docs, Sheets, and Slides apps on iPhones and iPads.
If you haven't already turned on VoiceOver, visit the Apple help site for instructions.
After you turn on VoiceOver, use these common gestures to navigate in Docs, Sheets, and Slides apps:
- Tab through controls: Swipe left or right
- Activate the focused item: Double-tap
- Move quickly to the top of the screen: Two-finger swipe up
- Close a pop-up window: Swipe in a circle, then double-tap
Use the rotor to navigate or edit
- Rotate two fingers to hear options for navigating and editing.
- Swipe up and down or double-tap, depending on the currently selected option.
Select and act on text
- Go to More options, then Selection control.
- From the menu, choose Select, Select all, Copy, Cut, Paste, Comment, or Speak selection formatting.
Select a row or column
- Explore by touch until you hear the row or column number you want to select.
- Double-tap to select the focused row or column.
- In the toolbar, select Accessibility settings.
- Turn on Read formatting properties.
- Turn on or off verbalization of text formatting, cell formatting, number formatting, and font properties.
Navigate in a presentation
- Move focus: Swipe right, left, up, or down
- Move to next or previous slide: Three-finger swipe left or right
- Zoom in or out: Two-finger pinch
- Pan the canvas: Drag two fingers across the screen
Select a shape or group
- Select shape or group: Move focus to the shape or group, then double-tap
- Select a grouped shape: Move focus to the shape, then triple-tap
- Edit selected shape: Double-tap
- Edit text in a shape: Select the shape, then double-tap (for ungrouped shapes) or triple-tap (for grouped shapes)
- Deselect all shapes: Move focus to the canvas, then double-tap
Select multiple shapes
- Select a shape.
- Double-tap and hold until you hear "Entered multi-select mode."
- To add or remove a shape from the selection, move the focus to the shape, then double-tap.
- To exit multi-select mode, go to the "Exit multi-select mode" button and double-tap.
Edit a grouped shape
- Select the group.
- To focus a shape within the group, touch the shape or swipe left and right to move through the shapes in sequence.
Move a shape
- Select the shape.
- Double-tap and hold anywhere until you hear "Drag to move shapes."
- Drag your finger to move the shape.
Rotate or resize a shape
- Select the shape.
- Swipe to move focus to one of the handles.
- Double-tap and hold until you hear the cue to drag to rotate or resize shapes.
- Drag your finger to rotate or resize the shape, or scroll four fingers over the handle.
Crop an image
- Swipe to move focus to the image.
- Triple-tap to enter crop mode.
- Swipe to move focus to the crop handles.
- Double-tap and hold until you hear the cue to drag to crop the image.
- Drag your finger to crop the image.
Use keyboard shortcuts
If you use an attached keyboard with your iPhone or iPad, you can use keyboard shortcuts to navigate in the Docs app. For a list of iPhone and iPad shortcuts, refer to Docs shortcuts.
Use a braille display
In the Docs and Slides apps, you can use a braille display to read and enter text. Learn about braille support.