Want advanced Google Workspace features for your business?
Put a file in the trash
To remove a file, you can put it in your trash. Your file will stay there until you empty your trash.
If you're the owner of the file, others can view it until you permanently delete the file. If you're not the owner, others can see the file even if you empty your trash.
- On your computer, open Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
- Next to the file you want to delete, click More Remove.
- The file will be moved to the trash section of Drive. Learn more about finding and recovering files in the “Trash” section of Drive.
If you delete a shared document, spreadsheet, or presentation that you own, it will be completely removed from Drive for all collaborators, and they will no longer have access to the document. Before deleting a document, you may want to make someone else its owner so that others can still access it.
Other ways to delete a file:
- With the file open: Click File Move to trash.
- In Drive: Click the name of the file, in the top right, click Remove .