Unable to open or edit a file someone shared with you
Unable to open a file
If you're unable to access a file that you could open before, or if you can't access a file or folder that was shared with you, there are a couple of possibilities:
- The file owner hasn't granted you access to the file.
- You were removed from the list of people with access.
- The owner of the file deleted it.
If you have the link to the file or an email where the file was shared, you can request access to it. Visit the URL, then click the Request access button on the page that says you don't have access.
If you think you shouldn't be seeing this message, here are some things you can try:
- Make sure you are signed in to the correct Google Account — one of your accounts might have access, and another might not.
- Contact the person who shared the file with you to confirm that you have access and that you're visiting the correct URL.
Unable to edit a file
If you’re unable to edit a file that was shared with you, there are a couple of possibilities:
- You’re not signed in to a Google Account.
- The file owner gave you permission to view or comment on the file, but not edit it.
Sign in to a Google Account
If you believe that the person who shared the file with you gave you permission to edit it, check in the top right corner of the file for a “Sign in to edit” button. If you see the button, click it to sign in to, or sign up for, a Google Account so that you can edit the file.
If you are signed in to your Google Account and still can’t edit the file, you should request edit access from the owner.
Request edit access for the file
If you can’t edit a file, the owner of the file may have given you only the ability to view or comment on the file. To the right of the menus at the top, check for a message that says “View only” or “Comment only”. If you see this message, you don’t have access to edit the file.
To request access, either contact the owner for editing access or request access from the file itself:
- In the top right corner of the file, click Share.
- Add your email address. You can also leave a note asking the owner to give you permission to edit the file.
- Click Send request.
The owner will get an email notification and can open the file to give you edit access.