Import data sets and spreadsheets
You can import a spreadsheet in any of these file formats:
- .xls (if newer than Microsoft® Office 95
Password-protected files cannot be imported.
To import a spreadsheet, select File > Import.
Choose the file you'd like to upload, and select one available import options below. Note: Not all file types will have all six options.
- Create new spreadsheet: This option creates a new Google spreadsheet from your imported file in a new browser tab.
- Insert new sheet(s): This option adds new sheets to your existing spreadsheet containing the data in your imported file.
- Replace spreadsheet: This option replaces your existing spreadsheet with the data in your imported file.
- Replace current sheet: This option replaces the current sheet with the imported data. Formatting and data previously on this sheet is replaced.
- Append rows to current sheet: This option adds the imported data to the row after the last row with any data in it on your current sheet. Your existing data will remain intact.
- Replace data starting at selected cell: This option pastes the imported data in a range of cells you have selected. It will replace any data that was previously on the sheet where the imported data has been pasted, but preserves existing data everywhere else.