Count the words in a document
- Word count is only available for Google Docs.
- Unless you select a section of the document, word count applies to everything except headers, footers, and footnotes.
Count the number of words in a long document
Tip: Use this feature for long documents, like novels or screenplays.
- On your computer, open a document in Google Docs.
- To find the count of words, characters, and pages, at the top of the page, click ToolsWord count.
- To close the window, click Done.
Count the number of words while you type
Tip: Use this feature for shorter documents, like news articles or school essays.
- To find the word count while you type, check "Display word count while typing"OK.
- In the bottom left, click on the Word count box to display:
- Characters without spaces
- To hide the word count, in the bottom left, click the Word count boxHide word count.