Edit forms with a screen reader
You can create and edit forms using your screen reader.
Add or edit items
To add an item to your form, press Ctrl + Shift + Enter (Windows, Chrome OS) or ⌘ + Shift + Enter (Mac).
To edit items in your form, use the following fields and buttons.
- Title: Type the title of the item, such as a question for your quiz.
- Type: In the question drop-down menu, press the up and down arrows to explore question types, such as multiple choice or short answer, and press Enter to select.
- Question details: The question details change depending on the question type.
- Question buttons: These buttons let you duplicate the question, delete the question, or make the question required.
- Answer key (only for quizzes): Use the answer key to choose correct answers, assign points, or add explanations.
- More: The More menu within each question lets you select other options, such as going to a different section of the form based on the answer.
Use keyboard shortcuts
Forms is different from a typical website, so some standard screen reader shortcuts don't apply. For the best experience, use Forms shortcuts while editing your form.
To open a list of shortcuts in your form, press Ctrl + / (Windows, Chrome OS) or ⌘ + / (Mac).
Format or preview the form
- Color palette: To open the color palette, press Alt + t (Windows, Chrome OS) or Ctrl + Option + t (Mac). Use the arrow keys to explore colors, then press Enter to select.
- Preview: To open the form in a new window, press Ctrl + Shift + p (Windows, Chrome OS) or ⌘ + Shift + p (Mac).
- Settings: Adjust your settings, such as the confirmation page text.
- Send: Select this button to send your form to recipients.
View questions or responses
- Questions tab: Add and edit questions.
- Responses tab: Set the form to accept or not accept responses, choose the destination for form responses, and read responses as a summary or individually.
- Note: If you select Individual, you might need to change your screen reader to forms mode or focus mode to read the responses. On the Individual tab, you can also grade responses for quizzes.
Make a copy or add collaborators
- To open the More menu, press Alt + s (Windows, Chrome OS) or ⌘ + Option + s (Mac).
- Press the down arrow to hear options such as Make a copy or Add collaborators, then press Enter to select an option.
Andrew is a Docs and Sheets expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.