Change the font in your file
When you create a document, spreadsheet, or presentation, you can change the font of your text from the default font, Arial. You can also make a new font the default for all of your documents or presentations.
Change your fontDesktop
To change the font of your text, click the name of the current font in the toolbar and select a different font from the drop-down menu.
Choose a different font for a section of text
If you'd like to change the font for a particular section of a file:
- Select the text, or cell in a spreadsheet, you'd like to change.
- In the toolbar, click the name of the current font being used.
- From the drop-down list, choose a new font.
The changes will be automatically applied to the text you selected.
- Open a document, spreadsheet, or presentation.
- Double tap a word, or cell in a spreadsheet, to select it. Move the blue markers to expand the text that's selected.
- Touch the format icon .
- In the "Text" section, touch the current font being used and select a new font from the list.
Your text will change when you choose an option. Touch back on the document to continue editing.
Set a default font for your documents
To set a preferred font for all your new documents or presentations:
- Open a file and begin typing.
- Highlight the text and, from the toolbar, select the font you want to add as the default.
- Click the Format menu.
- Hover over "Paragraph styles," and then "Normal Text," and select Update 'Normal text' to match.
- With the text still highlighted, click the Format menu again, hover over "Paragraph styles," and then "Options," and select Save as my default styles.
Once the default font has been set, all new documents or presentations that you create will use this font until you change the default option again.
Note: At the moment, this feature isn't available for spreadsheets.
Adding fonts to your font list
When looking at fonts in the drop-down menu in your toolbar, you can add new fonts to your font list if they don't appear in the list already.
- Click the current font to open the font list.
- At the bottom of the list, click Add fonts.
- Browse or search for new fonts.
- Click a font to add it to your "My fonts" list.
- To sort your fonts, or change how they will appear in your list, use the "Sort" and "Show" drop-down menus.
- When finished, click OK.
When you return to your document, your new fonts will be highlighted in your font list.
Mary is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.