Translate documents or write in a different language
You can translate documents into many languages with Google Docs.
Translate a document
- Open a document in Google Docs.
- In the top menu, click Tools Translate document.
- Enter a name for the translated document and select a language.
- Click Translate.
- A translated copy of your document will open in a new window. You can also see this copy in your Google Drive.
Change your typing language
- Open a document in Google Docs, a presentation in Google Slides, or a sheet in Google Sheets.
- In Google Docs or Google Slides, go to the top menu and click File Language the language you need.
- In Google Sheets, go to the top menu and click File Spreadsheet settings, then pick the locale of the language you need.
- To enter non-Latin characters like Hindi or Chinese, go to the toolbar and click Select Input tools .
- Phonetic input: Type the phonetic spelling of a word in Latin characters, then click the best match from the options on the screen.
- Keyboard input: To type letters and symbols, click the keys of a virtual keyboard or type matching keys with your physical keyboard.
- In handwriting input: Draw characters in a panel in the bottom right of your screen, then click the best match from the options on the screen.
Mary is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.
Was this article helpful?
How can we improve it?