How to use text in drawings
There are three ways to use text in your drawings:
Insert text boxes
- Click the Text box button in the toolbar or select Insert > Text box.
- Click in the canvas to create a default size text box, or drag the text box to resize it.
- Type your text, and the text appears in the text box. You can modify the text by double-clicking the shape or by right-clicking and selecting Edit text....
Add text within shapes
- Double-click the shape, (you can also right-click it and select Edit text..., or select the shape and click the Edit text button in the toolbar).
- Type your text, and the text appears in the shape. You can modify the text by double-clicking the shape or by right-clicking and selecting Edit text....
Add word art
- Click the Insert menu and select Word art.
- Type your text and press Enter. Your word art will be added to the drawing canvas and you can format it like you would any other shape.
Formatting text in text boxes and shapes
When you select a text box or shape with text in it, the Bold, Italic, Text color, Align, and Font size toolbar items appear. You can apply these styles to the entire text within the shape.
Formatting word art
When you select a word art shape, the Bold, Italic, and Font toolbar items appear. You can apply these styles to the entire shape, as well as use the standard shape formatting options to set fill and border styles.
Change the size of your shape by resizing it directly, and keep in mind that pressing Shift while resizing will preserve the text’s aspect ratio.
Note: word art scales text as you resize, while text within shapes wraps without resizing as you change the size of the shape.
Mary is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.