Add and edit tables in a document or presentation
Add a table
To add a table to a document or a slide in your presentation, follow these steps:
- Open a document or a slide in a presentation.
- Click the Table menu and select Insert table.
- Drag your cursor over the grid and click to specify the dimensions of the table you’d like to add. You can insert a table as large as 20 x 20 cells.
- The table will be inserted in your document.
Edit a table
Insert rows and columns
- To add a row or column, right-click a cell in your table.
- From the right-click menu, you can choose to add a row above or below the current row, or to add a column to the left or right of the current column.
Delete rows and columns
- To delete a row or column, right-click a cell in your table.
- From the right-click menu, you can choose to delete the current row or current column.
Merge cells in a table
- Open a document or presentation.
- Highlight the cells you want to merge.
- Click the Table menu.
- Select Merge cells.
To unmerge cells, highlight the cell and select Unmerge cells from the "Table" menu.Adjust table properties in a document
You can adjust the following properties for a given table:
- Table border color and width
- Cell background color
- Cell vertical alignment
- Table dimensions
- Table alignment
Please note that changing some properties, for example table border properties, affect your entire table while others, for example cell background properties, only affect selected cells of your table.
To adjust these properties for a table, right-click the table and select Table properties....
To style borders of individual cells in a table, first select the cells you want to change. Click one of the icons that appear in the toolbar to make changes to the individual cells you selected:
- Border color
- Border width
- Border dash
Format the table
To change the background color of a table or a cell range within a table, select a range of cells. Then, click the Fill color icon (paint bucket icon), and select a color.
You can also change cell border color and thickness for the entire table, a cell range within the table, or an individual cell. Here’s how:
- Select the cell or cell range that you’d like to edit.
- Then, click on the blue triangle in the upper right of the cell or cell range.
- Choose one of the nine options to format the borders from the drop-down menu.
- After you select an option, the selected cell borders will be highlighted. Then, you can format the cell borders using the Line weight, Line dash or Line decorations options under the Format menu.
Resize table, rows and columns
To resize a table, point your mouse to any of the four corners of the table. When the mouse pointer becomes an arrow, you can resize by dragging inward or outward.
Here’s how to resize an individual row or column:
- After inserting a table into a slide, point your mouse to any of the inner borders of a cell. The mouse pointer becomes a two-sided arrow.
- Drag the arrow to resize a column or row.
You can also make the rows or columns of your table evenly distributed (so that every row or every column is the same size). Here’s how to distribute rows or columns evenly:
- Click a table within your presentation to select it.
- Click the Table menu.
- Click either Distribute rows or Distribute columns.
Matt is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about the page.