Merge cells and wrap text
You can combine cells together in documents, spreadsheets, or presentations by merging them. You can also wrap text in a spreadsheet so that you can see all the text inside a cell.
It is possible to combine cells in spreadsheets, documents, and presentations.Merging and unmerging cells in a spreadsheet
To combine cells horizontally and/or vertically in a spreadsheet:
- Highlight the cells you want to combine.
- On the toolbar, click Merge .
From the Merge drop-down menu, you can select from the following options:
- Merge all: Merges selected cells into one cell.
- Merge cells horizontally: Merges the cells in each selected row.
- Merge cells vertically: Merges the cells in each selected column.
To unmerge a selected range of cells:
- Highlight the cells you want to unmerge.
- In the toolbar, click Merge .
- Click the arrow to the right of the icon > Unmerge.
To combine cells in a table of a document or presentation:
- Highlight the cells of a table that you want to merge.
- Open the Table menu.
- Select Merge cells.
- To unmerge the cells, open the Table menu > Unmerge cells.
In a spreadsheet, text that is longer than its cell will overflow into the cell next to it if it's empty, making the full text visible. If the adjoining cells are already full, your text will be clipped off in order to fit. However, if you wish to make it visible, you can wrap the text.
If you want the text in the cell to wrap onto a second line in the cell:
- Select the cell.
- In the toolbar, click Wrap text .
- Click the icon again to turn text wrapping off.
Mary is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.