You may be able to turn a URL from a third party partner application into a smart chip that can display additional link preview information.
Important: You can only create and use a third-party smart chip if a developer has enabled it for that application. Also, you or your domain administrator will need to install the specific add-on for that application. To install an add-on, go to Extensions Add-ons Get Add-ons. If you’re unable to install the add-on, you can try contacting your administrator.
Learn more about how to make third-party smart chips as a developer.
Create a third-party smart chip
Important: You must have the add-on installed for the third party application.
- On your computer, open a document in Google Docs.
- Enter a link from a third party website.
- Press Tab to replace the URL with the smart chip.
Convert a hyperlink to a third-party smart chip
If you’ve installed the add-on for a third party application, you can also use existing URLs in your documents as smart chips or convert them to smart chips.
- On your computer, open a document in Google Docs that has a URL from an eligible third party application.
- Click the URL to see information about the website.
- (Optional) To convert the URL to a smart chip, click Chip.
Use a third-party smart chip
- On your computer, open a document in Google Docs that has a third-party smart chip.
- Hover or click the smart chip to see information about the website.
- Tip: If you don’t have the add-on installed, you’ll be able to see the chip, but won’t be able to see more information when you hover over the chip. You can click Install to get the add-on.
- If you want to:
- Go to the website, click the smart chip title.
- Copy the URL, click Copy link .
- Learn more about the application’s add-on, click Add-on information .