Hide a sheet from view
Google spreadsheets allows you to take individual sheets out of view by hiding the sheet. This feature is particularly useful if you have individual sheets that are old, rarely used, or are placeholders for calculations used by other sheets.
Note: Hiding a sheet is not the same as protecting a sheet. All editors on the spreadsheet will be able to unhide and view these sheets. Spreadsheet viewers will not be able to view hidden sheets.
How to hide and unhide a sheet
To hide an individual sheet in your spreadsheet, follow these steps:
- Click on the sheet tab that you’d like to hide.
- Select Hide sheet from the sheet tab menu. If your spreadsheet doesn’t contain two or more sheets, this option won’t show.
- Your sheet will be hidden from view.
To unhide a sheet in your spreadsheet, follow these steps:
- From the View menu, scroll to Hidden sheets. If your spreadsheet doesn’t contain any hidden sheet, this option will be greyed out.
- Scrolling to the Hidden sheets menu item will expand an additional menu that displays all of your hidden sheets.
- Alternatively, you can click the sheet menu button. Hidden sheets will be shown in grey.
- Select the sheet that you no longer want hidden.
- Notice that your sheet now shows with the rest of your sheet tabs at the bottom of your spreadsheet.
Note: If you, your spreadsheets viewers, or spreadsheet editors make a copy of the sheet (File > Make a copy) hidden sheets will be preserved, but they will be able to unhide the sheets. Additionally, data contained in hidden sheets will be accessible via Google Apps Script and the Google Data API.
Importing and exporting spreadsheets with hidden sheets
Hidden sheets will remain hidden if importing or exporting your spreadsheet from the following formats:
- Exporting the spreadsheet to .pdf, .xls, or .ods format
- Importing the spreadsheet from .xls, .xlsx, or .ods format
- Spreadsheet List view
- If you include the page parameter (#gid=N) in List view, however, the hidden sheet will show
- Exporting the spreadsheet to html with the "/ccc?output=html" parameter
- If you include the page parameter (#gid=N) in the URL, the hidden sheet will show
- Publishing the spreadsheet
Mary is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.