Add footnotes to a document
To insert footnotes in your document:
- Open a document.
- In the place you want to insert a footnote, select the Insert menu > Footnote.
- Type your footnote in the margin of the document. When you're finished, click back into the body of your document.
Note: When you make a copy of a document, footnotes will be copied as well. But, if you copy and paste text that contains a footnote, the footnote may not be copied. To make sure that the footnote is carried over, use the web clipboard when copying and pasting the text.
Delete a footnote
To delete a footnote, delete the footnote from the body of the document, and this will delete all content for that footnote.
See your footnotes on mobile
While you can't add footnotes on a mobile device, you can see them, along with a number of other layout options, on phones and tablets.
- In the Docs app, open a file.
- Touch the More icon .
- Next to "Print layout," toggle from Off to On.
- You can now see your footnotes in the document. Toggle from On to Off to hide your footnotes.
Mary is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.