Multiple collaborators can work on the same file at different times, but you can’t collaborate in real time on encrypted files. If there are other collaborators, their icons appear in the top right as usual.
Work with multiple collaborators
If you open a file and someone is already editing, in the top right, you will get a 'Wait to edit' notification. To talk to the original collaborator, at the bottom of the notification, click Chat with them.
If someone opens the file you’re editing, at the top right you get a 'Someone just joined' notification. To talk to the new collaborator, at the bottom of the notification, click Chat with them.
If you see a 'Safe to edit' notifications then you can edit without any risk of conflicts.
Avoid changes that conflict
If multiple collaborators make conflicting changes, all collaborators on the file receive a notification at the top.
- To refresh and see the latest changes, click Refresh.
- To compare your unsaved changes by opening the latest in a new tab, click Compare.
- To remove the notification, click Dismiss. You can't continue to edit the old version.
After you click Compare, a new tab opens and you can copy over any edits from the original tab. You can continue to edit in the new tab.
- Get started with encrypted files in Docs, Sheets & Slides
- New articles from Enterprise (pending links)