Use third-party click tracking with TrueView line items
With TrueView in-stream, bumper, and non-skippable ads, you can use a tracking URL to track clicks on ads with a third-party click tracking system. The tracking URL doesn't affect landing page URLs.
You must implement click trackers if you want to see data related to click-through conversions in standard reports for TrueView.
Track clicks with a third-party system
- When you create a new TrueView in-stream, bumper, or non-skippable ad in a TrueView line item, set the Landing page URL as your ad's landing page. The landing page URL can contain redirects within your advertiser's domain but not redirects to third-party domains.
- Fill in the URL you use for tracking in the Click tracker URL field. The click tracker must redirect to the same URL as your landing page URL.
- Click Save.
Example of how tracking URLs work
Let's say that you own a shoe store, and you've specified a destination URL for the keyword "ankle boots." Your destination URL might look something like this (with tracking content highlighted):
You'd set up your upgraded URLs this way:
- Set a landing page URL to
- Set your tracking URL to
- Define a custom parameter for the keyword "ankle boots":
Define custom parameters in tracking URL options
Use custom parameters if you want to use your own IDs to identify keywords. Rather than hard-coding these IDs, you can use custom parameters that fill them in.Set custom parameters for a tracking URL
- After you've entered a tracking URL (above), enter the name of your custom parameter, using up to 16 alphanumeric characters. When you add this name into your tracking template or final URL, make sure to put an underscore before it, and surround it in braces (for example,
- Enter the value to insert, up to 200 characters. This can contain any characters, including & | ; _ / ^ ( !. It can also include ValueTrack parameters. Make sure to escape them as needed, depending on where you use them in the URL.
- You can specify up to 3 custom parameters.