In order to use Google Tag Manager (GTM) containers to deploy your tags, you'll need to link your GTM containers with your advertiser, push your tags to GTM, then configure your tag firing rules.
Link GTM to your advertiser
Link your advertiser to a GTM container.
- Campaign Manager 360 users: If Campaign Manager 360 is linked to your Display & Video 360 account, link your advertiser's Floodlight configuration in Campaign Manager 360 to your Google Tag Manager container.
- If you don't use Campaign Manager 360:
- In Display & Video 360, navigate to Resources > Floodlight Group > Basic Details > Integrations > Google Tag Manager.
- Click the .
- Then in the Google Tag Manager panel, click Add Google Tag Manager Link to link a GTM container.
Once you've linked your advertiser in Campaign Manager 360 or Display & Video 360 to a GTM container, open Google Tag Manager, then navigate to Approval Queue > External Account Links and approve the link you just created.
Push your tags to GTM containers
Once you've established a link between your advertiser in Campaign Manager 360 or Display & Video 360 and Google Tag Manager, you can associate your conversion tracking tags with your GTM container.
Push the tags to your GTM containers.
- Campaign Manager 360 users: Create a new Floodlight activity, save it, then push it to Google Tag Manager by selecting your GTM containers in the "Google Tag Manager" section of your Floodlight activity's details.
- Non-Campaign Manager 360 users: Create a new Floodlight activity, then, in the activity's basic details, select the GTM containers you want to push to and click Push.
Once you've pushed your tags from Campaign Manager 360 or Display & Video 360 open Google Tag Manager, then navigate to Approval Queue > Tags and approve the tag you just pushed to GTM.
Configure your tag firing rules
Once your tags are associated with your GTM containers, you need to tell GTM when to execute (or, "fire") your tags so that conversions may be counted. This is controlled using rules.
In Google Tag Manager, navigate to your container, then click the Rules tab.
In your container's rules, click New to add a new rule.
A rule that blocks a tag from firing always overrides a firing rule. For example, if a tag has a firing rule "all devices" and a blocking rule "Device Name equals Nexus One", the tag will never fire on devices named "Nexus One".
- A tag will fire whenever any of its firing rules is met. For example, if a tag has two firing rules, one for "all devices" and another for "Samsung Android", the tag will fire on all devices.
Once you've finished building your rule, click Save.
In the Firing Rules section, click Add Rule to Fire Tag to select which tags to apply your rule to.
Use the Conversion Linker tag
To ensure that your tags can effectively measure all of your conversions, make sure that you’re using the Conversion Linker tag in Google Tag Manager.
To add the Conversion Linker tag:
- In your Google Tag Manager container, click Tags > New.
- For Tag Configuration, select the Conversion Linker tag type.
- For Triggering, select All Pages.
- Save your tag.
- Publish the Conversion Linker tag.