The targeting expansion setting is a simple yet powerful tool that utilizes Google intelligence to help you reach individuals who share interest profiles with your existing customers. By expanding your targeting, you can reach more potential customers (even in cookieless environments) who are likely to engage, click, or convert with your ads.
How this feature works
This feature uses manual targeting inputs in combination with Google machine learning to expand reach to customers with similar interest profiles who are likely to engage with your campaign.
Expand your targeting
Bulk editing line items
In addition to setting targeting expansion settings on individual line items, you can also adjust targeting expansion settings across multiple line items using bulk edit. Learn more
When editing multiple line items with different targeting expansion settings in bulk edit, Display & Video 360 automatically enables targeting expansion across all line items (if all line items meet the criteria mentioned above). Once enabled, you can still manually adjust the targeting expansion slider.
- Navigate to a line item details page.
- From the Targeting section, select Add Targeting > Audience Lists.
- Add a First-party, Google audience, Custom lists, and/or a combined audience that contains a first-party or Google audience.
Note: When expanding first-party lists, the similar audience expansion mechanism is used
- Click Apply.
- From the Targeting expansion section, use the slider to control how your targeting will be expanded. There are a total of 5 segments you can adjust the slider to (set to the first segment by default for Google audiences). Adjust the desired level of reach for your audience starting with no expansion on the left, increasing to conservative and aggressive expansion on the right.
- No expansion
- Least expansion
- Some expansion
- Balanced expansion
- More expansion
- Most expansion
- (Optional) Exclude first-party lists. Select this to exclude first-party lists to reach new people with similar interests to your existing audience.
- Click Save when you are done.
- Targeting expansion is currently not supported on the following Google audience types: Installed Apps, New Mobile Devices
- Forecasting for targeting expansion may not be available for all audience types
- Targeting expansion can be enabled or disabled through SDF, however adjusting the expansion levels is currently not supported