Implement ad tags
Now that you've created your first ad unit, it’s time to start serving ads. To do so, you'll need to implement Google Publisher Tags (GPT) so your webpage can request and display ads from DFP. Google Publisher Tags are snippets of code you add to your webpage to request an ad from DFP. These tags send browser, location and other anonymous information about the user as well as targeting you define such as ad units or key-values.
Choose the best inventory ad tagt
Google Publisher Tags offer flexibility to accommodate different content loading techniques (asynchronous or synchronous) as well as an option to request all of a page's ads at one time, or separately. Learn more
- Choose how your content and ads load together on a page
GPT can load ads independently from content in separate iframes with the asynchronous tag option, or directly alongside content with the synchronous option. We generally recommend using the asynchronous GPT option as it often decreases a site's page load time by allowing the rest of your content to load while the ad is loading. The synchronous GPT option can provide greater flexibility for expandable ads or other creatives that do not display correctly in an iframe.
- Request all of a page's ads at once, instead of using multiple tag requests
GPT single-request mode can enhance page load performance and help roadblock creatives.
Generate your ad tags
You can generate Google Publisher Tags from the Inventory tab, and then work with your development team to implement the tags into your content.
- Generate Google Publisher Tags in DFP
- Google Publisher Tag samples
- Transition your site to Google Publisher Tags
A few things to keep in mind:
- It can take up to 30 minutes after implementing Google Publisher Tags to see Google AdSense ads trafficked through your DFP network.
- Only request ads you intend to display on the page. If you request ads, but never display them, your reporting is likely to be negatively affected.
- We recommend implementing Google Publisher Tag requests at least one week before you plan to fully launch DFP ad serving for your content. This allows DFP to build a forecasting profile for your content. Learn more